Tuesday, September 28, 2004

The Battle

After school today a group of my students' parents walked in together. I literally shuddered. I was terrified. Dealing with these people has been tough. But so far I have only needed to do so on a one-on-one basis. This group made a firing squad look friendly. Today was the second History Test. I can only imagine what atrocities I have committed now.

Here is the rundown up to this point...

First, I was flogged for failing to create a study guide for the test (to be distributed at least a week prior to the "big event"). I supported my position saying that as fifth graders I was preparing these students for the more independent learning styles that are required during middle school, high school and university. They persisted. I apologized, stayed up late making a study guide and distributed them the next day...three days before the test.

Next, I was assaulted as having created "worthless" study guides. Students came in parroting their parents. "I don't know how you expect me to learn anything from this" "This thing is pointless" "I don't know what to do with this" All of this after I had clearly explained to my students what to do to prepare for the test.

This is when I put on my game face. They want to play ugly and talk bad about me in front of their kids? Well, they aren't going to win! I can promise you that. I have their kids for more waking hours of the day than they do. And I am the teacher! I can be fun. We can learn while playing. They are the parents. They still have to tell their kids to get up in the morning and go to bed at night. They are the ones that have to nag about cleaning their rooms and brushing their teeth. They are the ones that don't get a break. I can win their kids. I can win this war.

So I explained the study guides again, this time with passion, with excitement, with intent. I shredded their defenses, redirected their questions, and poured the "responsibility lecture" on thick. I gave them the "I-gave-you-all-the-answers" pep talk. These kids were all smiles when they left. I could hear them greeting their parents in the hall that afternoon. "Mom, this guide isn't stupid! She gave us all the answers, we just have to learn to ask the right questions!" or "Wait till I show you how this study guide works. Its so easy! I can't believe you couldn't do this last night." and my favorite "Mom, she's the best teacher, she made studying for the test a game! I'm gonna teach you how to play and then you will like her." I'll chalk that up as a win in round two.

Today I felt like the lone target with five sniper lasers trained in on my heart. These people wanted blood. I could taste it. But luckily I was armed with school policies, test scores, and students testimonials. I had anticipated this battle (just not the overwhelming numbers). Game Face. Countdown. 5...4...3...2...Let the games begin.

"Hi! I don't usually get so many visitors. What can I do for ya'll?"
(throwing in a "ya'll" here or there makes me sound younger...almost innocent, almost!)
"we wanted to talk to you about the study guide for this test" begins the ringleader.
"sure."
*pause* (I am not going to defend something that they haven't yet attacked directly)
"Well, you can't give kids just a list of words to study for a test"
"I didn't give them 'just a list of words' I gave them the answers"
"You did what?"
"I gave them the answers to the test."
"Why would you do that?"
"So that they can study all of the right things. That is the point of a study guide."
"But isn't that cheating?"
"Of course not! The questions are in a random order on the test and it is the idea that counts"
"the idea?"
"Yes! You see in fifth grade we don't simply want the students to regurgitate information that is given them...we want them to be able to apply what they know. So I gave them the answers or all of the key ideas from every question on the test so that they could study those ideas and then when they get the test all they have to do is apply what they already know to be true to the question that I ask them."
"Well, how do you know that this will work?"
"your kids told me"
"Excuse me?"
"Your kids. They proved to me that it would work by getting mostly A's and B's"
*sudden clamoring or demands for their student's score*
I calmly passed out the tests and over heard this brief snippet...
"He had better have gotten a good grade on this thing we studied for hours last night." (while saying this I handed this mother her son's "A" test)
"I didn't understand that study guide so I just threw it out and told him that he had better pray that he already knows what he is doing because that thing is useless." (while saying this I handed this mother her son's "C" test)

"I can tell who studied using the guide just in the questions that they missed on the test. Kids who used the guide would occasionally make a few minor errors. Students who ignored the guide made obvious and huge mistakes."
"My daughter insisted that you took her study guide from her to grade so I called ****(name ommitted to protect the guilty) and her son confirmed that you had taken his as well."
"That is simply incorrect. I don't know what your son/daughter is referring to but I can assure you that once I handed out those guides I refused to touch them. They became the sole responsibility of the student. I checked them for the extra credit points but even then I made them hold their papers in front of their faces while I checked. I absolutely refused to touch them."
*students in the room confirmed this to be true, even the students who had previously lied to their parents*

The group had lost its power. It began to disband. A few students hugged me and said their goodbyes ("see you tomorrow, Miss 'Rand"). And then came the surprise, one parent separated from the group, the ringleader.

She came forward and hugged me, with tears in her eyes she said, "Thank-you, you really are a great teacher, Scot has been telling me that since the first day, I just wish that I had believed him then."
I was shocked.
"Don't worry about it. There is a lot of school year left."
She smiled.
"You're doing a great job."
I beamed. I glowed. I rejoiced. I did my happy dance inside my head.
"Thank-you."
She walked out of the room, son in tow, test held high, her "C" student had gotten his first "A"
The others watched in amazement. They had lost their ringleader. They had lost the battle. But more than that, they had lost the desire....because for the first time, they saw my heart.