Thursday, February 24, 2005

My husband

I teach grammar using a curriculum that I compare to verbally diagramming sentences. It is an interesting method. The students test very well, but I see very little of that knowledge being reflected in their writing. However, this is of no consequence for the purposes of this post. (If you happen to actually be curious about the curriculum you can see an example of a sentence that my class verbally diagrams daily!)

The writers of this curriculum are very bizarre. For while they could be promoting all sorts of "character counts" type movements instead they chose to write childish, non-sensical, irrelevant or rude sentences. For example, yesterday we ran through a question and answer flow about a boy spitting on his mother's freshly cleaned kitchen floor, which sparked quite a discussion on respect and sanitation. But today's sentence was my favorite.

"My husband is a sports nut during football season."
Who is a sports nut during football season?- Husband- Subject Noun
What is being said about husband?- Husband is- Verb
Husband is what?- nut- Verify the noun
Does husband mean the same thing as nut?- Yes!- Nut- Predicate Noun...

...At this point I start cracking up. I mean, did you hear that last sentence? "Does husband mean the same thing as nut?" and the appropriate answer is "yes"?!?!?!?...You've got to be kidding me. Oh, this Shurley gal must have been one bitter lady. I am still laughing about it.