Monday, April 23, 2007

A Crazy Afternoon Sickness Bug

It was the strangest thing, this afternoon, several of my students started to complain about headaches and stomach pains.

I ran through the usual questions, "Did you have something to eat today?" (You wouldn't believe how many of them forget to eat!), "What did you eat?" "Did you play hard at recess?" and so on.

There was no recognizable pattern, some had eaten, one had not (I sent her down to buy a pop-tart), some had brought lunches from home, some had eaten the salad bar, some had ordered a hot lunch, some had played hard, some had sat on the sidelines, some drank their milk others didn't...I was beginning to become highly suspicious that they were ALL having such symptoms and was starting to feel like I must be the brunt of someones idea of a joke... when I started to feel it, too.

It was horribly sudden. Headache, stomach pain, nausea and dizziness. Yick! Thankfully we only had a light afternoon planned and we all went home exhausted. I even skipped small group so that I could crawl into bed asap.

Now I have emerged feeling all better. (This might mess up my sleeping pattern a bit but I am quite thankful to not be sick.) But who ever heard of being sick for 6 hours? I would typically blame food poisoning or something of that nature, but I am not sure how that is possible with all of the varieties of meal options available to us. I will be interested to see who makes it to school tomorrow.