Sunday, April 22, 2007

Tweaking

I greatly enjoy tweaking blog templates. Furthermore, I greatly enjoy when said tweaking can move at the same pace as my creative thought process.

My previous template was found in the public domain. It held the promise of "copy and paste to a new and improved blog appearance." This is all well and good, except for when my creative tweaking bent kicks in.

The creator of this free blog template simply does not define terms like, "header," "footer," "sidebar," or "body," the way that I do. To me it is simple. Header=Top; Footer=bottom; sidebar=left or right; body=central focal point. In this design however all of these terms were entirely confused...my sidebar was actually labeled as the body and footer...my header was labeled as a sidebar...and luckily I think the body was still the body...otherwise I don't think that I could have posted. So I sorted through the html garble and cleaned it up for the most part...and then I "encrypted/hid" notes to myself in the template so that I could find everything and I wouldn't mess it up again.

This may sound like complaining...but it's not really. In some backhanded sort of way I am bragging that I could figure any of it out at all. I just think...10 years ago I had never written with anything other than a pencil, and I wasn't introduced to the Internet until I attended SVCC in '99. And the blogging craze started after my geocities experimentation somewhere around '02. I pat myself on the back. Because, I can tweak! :)