Thursday, February 07, 2008

Sing Along

One of the things that I love about my job are the many "moments" I find. They are unexpected and they cause me to stop in my tracks in awe of how grateful I am to be right here, right now. I wouldn't change a thing.

My kids are so great. Sure they have their days. But today, when other teachers were complaining that their kids were squirly from the day off, my kids were radiently good. I always have some music playing at the begining of the day as they get settled in, turn in homework, mark lunch count, etc. And the students always have a daily-warm-up worksheet to finish quietly in their seat. Today, as I was taking attendance I paused as I realized that my entire class was quietly singing along with the CD. I smiled. Oh, the unabashed joy of fifth-graders singing a song they love with their friends. Today, it was good to be back. Back to a job I love. Today, I sang along.