Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Snow Day

My class was interrupted as the school secretary stepped in and deposited a white sheet on my desk and wordlessly left the room. I was curious. I refocused the discussion of sea annemones as I crossed over to my desk. It took me a moment to locate the paper, as my desk is piled high with papers of all kinds waiting for my attention. I found the newest addition to the chaos and flipped it over quickly skimming the contents. A phone tree. No explanations. Just names and numbers arranged in a flow chart fashion. But it was the clip art at the top that gave it away. **Snowflakes** I held in my hand the chain of command that decided on those ever wished for snow days. I jumped up and down as I giggled and clapped my hands in excitement, on the inside of course, on the outside I tucked that precious phone tree into my grade book where it was sure to journey safely to my sanctuary of "home" thinking to myself, "I may need that soon." After asking around, I had been informed that at 6am the decision would be made and the phone tree activated, I could anticipate a call by 6:05 if there was a snow day to be had. My name is very near the top (because I am so important or because it is arranged alphabetically: take your pick).

***

The roads were icy. Cars were sliding into ditches (or curbs). I set my alarm for 4:45, as usual. The next morning we had school.

***

It began snowing. Conditions were terrible. I set my alarm for 6:00. I was hoping.

***

My alarm sounds. ARGH! "Maybe, they're running late." I hit snooze.

* 9 minutes later *

My alarm sounds. ARGH! "Shoot! I really have to get up and face this day. Pshaw! Well, 9 more minutes wouldn't hurt...might help my outlook a bit." I hit snooze again. I blinked slowly watching the glowing numbers of my alarm fade.

RRRIINNNNNGGGG!

My eyelids fly open. Did I just dream that up?

RRRIINNNNNGGGG!

I threw off my comforters while jumping out of bed. I stumbled over some pillows on my way to the phone.

RRRIINNNNNGGGG!

My socks slid all over the tile floor as I scrambled to reach the handset before the caller was sent to voicemail. Locating the ringing, I hastily punch "Talk" and mumble "Patty?"

"Trisha! Good Morning."
"Is it?"
"It's a snow day!"
"YES! It is indeed a good morning. I'll call Julie...see you tomorrow, I hope!"
"bye"
"bye"

I called Julie, who already knew because she had the radio on. Then I crawled into bed and stayed there till 11. I have since played with my computer, read TIME, completed some grades due next week, and lounged about in my pajamas all day. I love snow days! I did indeed choose the right career. I can't stop smiling...or singing...

Let it snow.
Let it snow.
Let it snow.