Monday, November 08, 2004

NyQuil Realities and DayQuil Dreams

I have been quite sick since Thursday. I go to work and I sleep...That's it. I have drugged myself without limits...Screw what the labels recommend...I have a serious need to recuperate quickly.

I came home from work on Friday and I slept till Sunday morning. I would occasionally move from my bed to the couch and then back to my bed for some variety. But I have never enjoyed sleep so much in my life. I have had the most vivid and beautiful dreams. And I have been so blessed. After sleeping like I was competing with Sleeping Beauty for a gold medal I awoke to realize that I had a lot of work to do before Monday. And even though I was exhausted I somehow managed to get accomplished everything that needed to be done. Whew! It was a miracle.

The reality is that throughout this weekend I have really had an opportunity to breathe, to slow down, to step back and appreciate just how good my life is. I have just been way too busy. While entirely strung out on NyQuil I saw that I am working at a job that I can really enjoy. I have friends that love me. And life goes on, even if I don't get all of the papers graded or all of the bulletin boards completed. For the first time in a long while, I had the time to dream, it was worth it. I have missed dreaming.

I walzed into work today at 5:45am singing and smiling to myself. I had a really great day. I still have a violent cough, but today, every time I coughed I reminded myself of those NyQuil realities and those beautiful DayQuil dreams.