Friday, October 29, 2004

To live like you were dying

I was listening to the song by Tim McGraw yesterday.

how's it hit you when you get that kinda news
man what'd you do?

and he said
I went sky diving
I went Rocky Mountain climbing
I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named BluManchu
and I loved deeper and I spoke sweeter
and I gave forgiveness I'd been denying
and he said someday I hope you get the chance
to live like you were dying.


and I stopped to think about what I was doing. What I wanted to be doing. What my goals are. And how I am planning on reaching those goals.

if this were the last day of my life, I would be sorely disappointed. There is just so much more that I wanted to do. Life is a precious thing. And yet so frail. Yet hard to kill. Like pride. I hate how proud I can be. Arrogant. Above-it-all. Stuck up. I will never forget that all through high school Adam called me "stuck up" I hated him for it. But now I see that I hated it, not because it was a lie, but because the truth of it rang so true in my ears.

I have spent my whole life focused on me. Focused on what I wanted. What I was good at. What made me happy. Focused on my own success. My school. My education. My expenses. My job.

and I knew better. It wasn't blindness. It was sheer greed. I was willing to succeed at anyone else's expense. I knew that I was wrong. But nothing stopped me. It is a disappointment, to see how shallow.

I want to live a life worth living. But I don't want to pursue all of the adrenaline rush thrills of ...


sky diving
or Rocky Mountain climbing...
I want to live a life that brings glory to God's name.
I want to love deeper and want to speak sweeter
want to give forgiveness I'd been denying
and it looks like I may just get my chance
to live like I was dying.