Tuesday, November 02, 2004

A Printer and the Return of Christ

Wal*Mart was having this fantastic sale on printers, so, being my spontaneous self I went out and bought one for my classroom computer. I was so excited as I envisioned the time that this was going to save me. Plus I could print out report cards and such at the school whenever the parents decided that they wanted one and I wouldn't have to be all, "ok, I'll print that out and get it to you first thing in the morning"

So I take my great "bargain" of a printer to the school, whistling the whole way. I followed the brief directions, inserting ink cartridges, plugging in power cords, connecting USB cables...connecting USB cables....still...connecting USB cables. And I think to myself, "that's strange, I can't seem to find a USB plug in thingy on my computer" Turns out that my computer at school is so old that it doesn't have any USB ports, back in the days of the dinosaurs, (i.e. when it was made)they had no friggin clue what a USB cord was!

So I head back to Wal*Mart hoping that I can get some connector do dad or something. And you can get connectors that hook old printers up to new computers but you can't get connectors to hook new printers up to old computers. So I have a perfectly good printer with extra ink cartridges and a free ream of paper all boxed in my classroom waiting for either a newer computer or the return of Christ...Whichever comes first.