Thursday, January 20, 2005

Exhausted

I just spent an exhausting conversation on direction and came to no real conclusions except that what I have is meaningless and I don't know what I need. Let me amend that...maybe I do know what I need, I just don't know how to go about getting it.

I need to reach a point of desperation that is consuming. Like Hannah. That woman was so desperate for a son that she dedicated him to God. She was willing to give away the gift, the blessing that she longed for. A desperation that leads to the honor and glory of God. A desperation that leads to action.

I need a direction that is clear. Like Ruth. That woman knew what she needed and she clung to it tightly, eagerly refuting her lifestyle, her heritage, her home, her family, all for the sake of following the God of her husband and her mother-in-law even in the face of discouragement. If only I knew what to cling to. Maybe its obvious: cling to God. How?

I need a brokenness that is complete.

I will work on this. Can I work on this? I will work on giving it up. If only I knew how.