Thursday, March 10, 2005

Princess Day

Today was one of the best days of my life. I lived today.

I was feeling unloved. I was feeling forgotten and alone. I had just gotten so caught up in the day-to-day "stuff" that I had failed to live. I was treading water; it takes a lot of effort and you're not even getting anywhere.

As I washed my hair I decided that today was going to be different, it was my birthday after all. So I carefully pinned my hair up as if I were "going out" rather than heading to school. As I perused my closet I found the right outfit. It was a shimmery purple silk ballgown that I had worn to a friend's wedding, it was a "princess dress" and it was perfect.

I started out toward the market to buy flowers and coffee. I found purple mums that matched my dress and my mood ...and mint coffee is always exquisite. For one of the first times people at work started to see my personality. I guess my kids have seen it often enough but my coworkers are another story. They seemed to have a hard time understanding why the day needed to be celebrated. Praise God, fifth graders understood perfectly.

As the morning began and students entered the building I was showered with "ohhs" and "ahhs" and "Happy Birthdays" but it went beyond greetings. I felt like one of the celebrity cartoon characters in Disney World, everyone wanted a hug and a smile, and they just wanted to be with me. My students were so proud of me for "being a princess." And had I been paying a bit more attention I might have noticed the glimmer of a secret being glanced between them, but I was too absorbed in the holiday.

The first class of the day went just as any other day would, except that when I had to climb onto a chair to write the homework at the top of the board I had to hoist about a ton of tulle and shimmery purply stuff...as one student said, "it's funny how the dress can look so out of place in school but look so perfect on you...it's like you're from another world" I took that as a compliment.

Next I had to go to a meeting with my principal and head teacher to discuss my evaluation that had been done months ago. I was just so excited to be finally having this meeting that all of the bitterness and anger about its delay were washed away. They had a substitute come in to teach my History class while I was in conference. The sub arrived a few minutes late, I handed her the lesson plan, gave my students their last minute instructions and then ran towards the office. I hesitated slightly outside his door, momentarily doubting my attire. I giggled at myself, "who would do such a thing?" Smiling I realized that these are the moments when I love who I am. I walked in.

It was everything that I expected it to be. They think that I am great, a bit unconventional, but it seems to work for me. Things got a bit uncomfortable when he started pressuring me about the contracts again but I was firm in reminding him that I was only committed to the contract that I had signed and that I was still praying about what I was to do in the fall.

As I returned to my room I saw the "Happy Birthday" sign from the hall. When I walked in I was "Surprised" by all of the decorations and grinning faces...sneaky fifth graders...but then I noticed that they all were standing with their hands behind their backs...suspicious...the sub hurried towards my side and put something into my hand, "you're going to need this" she whispered in my ear and then she ran out the door. Slightly confused I watched her close the door behind her and then turn around to watch through the window with my principal and other staff workers...all grinning widely. I looked at what she had given me..."silly string?" As soon as I glanced at the can, my kids took that as their cue to bring out from behind their backs their own cans of fun. It was 15 to 1 and I think I conquered...I am after all much taller and more skilled in the art of silly string attacks. When all 16 cans were empty I looked back to the doorway of onlookers...I think that they were all wishing that someone had taught them how to celebrate a birthday before now.

But the day was still young. After opening endless gifts from my students I tried to settle them down to watch a movie. Just as I had gotten the right VCR hooked up to the TV another surprise greeted me. My mom, brothers, aunt and grandmother came into my class bearing more gifts and cupcakes and singing. I almost cried. After introductions and distribution of my favorite cupcakes they (my family and my class) teamed up on me. As it turns out they had been in cahoots that whole time. And this is the part where I get the gift that takes my breathe away. My aunt had contacted each of my students and secretly had them sending her pictures and letters about themselves, about me and about fifth grade. Then she had scrapbooked them all. It is the most beautiful present. I DID cry.

I sent my kids off to PE had lunch with my family and then enjoyed the afternoon with my kids.

I won't ever forget today. Today I realized just how much these people love me. Today I lived. Today is my princess day.