Monday, September 12, 2005

What's it Like...?

I have been asked many times what it is like to live with a married couple. Up until the other night my response was always that you should be asking them what it is like to have to live with me! ;) Now I would say that a better question would be, "What's it like to live with a boy that is crazy?"

Tom totally grossed me out the other night. All was well and good we were all watching a movie or something on TV. Fine. Then Lauren says to me, "Do you see what your roommate is eating?" (Notice how she claims no association to the man that she is married to and somehow seems to be blaming me for getting her mixed up with this guy...I will refer to this as "Genesis 3:12 syndrome" as I feel that it is very similar in nature to the attitude that was brought about at the fall of mankind.)

I look over at Tom to seen him with a bowl, a fork, a saucer, and a powdery substance that I had not yet identified. I observed carefully for a moment, slightly confused.

He poured the yet unidentified powdery substance onto the saucer and then began to sift through it with the fork. He was removing something and discarding it into a garbage bag...what was it? After he had sifted through the entire saucer, he dumped the clump free powder into the bowl and refilled the saucer with new powder and began sifting again with the fork. I don't think I ever would have guessed what it was if I hadn't been able to smell the blueberries. My roommate was sifting through blueberry muffin mix and extracting the blueberries. Weird!

But at this point it was still forgivable, weird but forgivable. I figured that he just didn't like the imitation blueberries or something but was somehow attached to the muffins. That was before I knew that this mix would never live to see its muffin form. I had an uncle who liked cherry pie without the cherries, so I figured that this was a similar situation. No such luck.

I was then informed that he intended to eat the mix...No baking involved. This was again very strange. I started to imagine him sprinkling the powder on top of ice cream or something...I could imagine that as a garnish it might be ok...So I just laughed and thought that he was crazy. He then goes on to tell me that he does this a lot. Bragging even that in college he had nearly 1/2 of a 2-Litter soda bottle filled with just the discarded berries. That was when I realized that this boy had a serious problem. But there is more to come. Because he doesn't plan on eating this as an ice cream topping...Nope.

He mixes it into a batter and just eats it by the spoonful like it was pudding! I HATE pudding! It was so gross. Spoonful after spoonful, he just kept eating it...thinking that he is normal! Poor, crazy boy. I mean there is just something fundamentally wrong about eating batter of any kind and the fact that he goes through all of the work of removing the blueberries just floors me. And it leaves me with just one more question,

"Why doesn't he just mix himself up some pancake mix?"