Thursday, December 22, 2005

Stranded in Iowa

The drive home from Kansas City was fine once we got out of the huge traffic delay. We were even making good time. Then as we were going up a hill I realized that although I was still pushing on the accelerator we were now loosing speed. Bummer. I pulled over. Trucks were flying past me....shaking the car. It was a little after 11pm. We called dad, and then 911, and then we waited for the police to come to help us. He was a nice police officer...he looked at my car and said, "it looks like you've killed your transmission." Great. So for the second time in nine days a tow truck was called to rescue me. They towed us to a car fix it place and we walked to the motel next door. By the way I don't recommend using shampoo that you can buy from a vending machine as it just makes your hair really dry. The Fix it place didn't really have the time or the motivation to fix my car so my dad had to drive to Iowa, pick us up, and tow my poor, pathetic, little car back. Sad, sad day indeed. However, it was rather interesting squeezing five adults into the truck cab. Oh, and we got to ride in a police car. And tow truck drivers in Iowa are much nicer than tow truck drivers in Illinois. And for future reference I think that all candidates for my future husband should own a tow truck...it just seems like a solid investment with someone like me around.