Monday, May 23, 2005

Forgotten Cat

My cat drives me nuts sometimes. In fact some days I don't even remember why I like him at all. He just whines all of the time. And he doesn't like you to touch him. And he bites. But he just has to be in the same room with you. Then there is the constant in/out thing...He whines to come in and then he whines to go out. He can really be quite annoying.

I used to think that he acted like this because we were not home enough to make him happy or something. Somehow I felt guilty for abandoning my cat all day. I had to remind myself several times that cats are not "social" animals. Who's great idea was it to domesticate these beasts? Sure they are fascinating to watch in the .3 hours a day that they are awake...But what about the rest of the time when they are grouchy or sleeping and they get mad at you because you need the book that they have chosen to take their nap on?????

When he was a kitten he would snuggle and sleep with me. It was pretty much the only time that he was good. But now that he has turned into a huge fat cat he just bothers me at night walking on me from my toes to my head, kneading his paws and snapping at me. I tend to toss him off of me pretty quickly. Then he starts knocking stuff off of bookshelves and dressers. Not accidentally. Nope he gets behind it and then nudges it with his paw to the edge, watches it fall and then looks to me to gauge my reaction. I am a slow learner. It took me a couple of weeks to figure out that I needed to start locking him out of my room when I went to bed. He whines at the door for a while but that I can ignore...At least he isn't knocking my alarm clock onto the floor anymore!

The other night I forgot about him. I had let him outside and then I never let him back in. Right as I was drifting off to sleep (about midnight) I heard him start up his whining. I just assumed that he was whining at my door wanting to come in and pounce on my head. I ignored him for hours. Literally it was 4:45 before I got out of bed determined to silence him by any means necessary (I get more than a little annoyed when my sleep is continually interrupted). That was when I realized the he was stuck outside. Oops. My poor neighbors. I let him in and he shut up instantly. He was almost even "social." Maybe he needs to become an outside cat.