Thursday, June 23, 2005

Great America, Great Times

Lauren and I went to Great America and we tried out several new roller coasters and the brand-new/just-in-time Hurricane Harbor...I can't remember a day when I have had so much fun! If you haven't been there you should go asap. My favorite ride was Superman because I felt safe...

I am well aware that you are supposed to feel like you are going to die while riding on a roller coaster...that, after all, is part of the fun...that is why they say things like "thank-you for challenging the DejaVu and enjoy the rest of your day!" They want you to think that you have done something commendable. They want you to think that you have risked your very life and conquered. I however, would appreciate it if it only felt that way instead of there actually being a very real possibility of death (that I just happened to live through).

It was the perfect day to go to a theme park. The weather was beautiful and the lines were short. We rode everything that our little hearts desired to ride (except for Lauren, whose little heart desires to ride too many corkscrew things, she had to do without some things). All was well and good until it came time to ride the DejaVu. I guess that I knew from the beginning that this ride was going to be crazy...I don't really like going backwards and that is half of the ride...as it turns out that was not the part that I needed to worry about.

I guess that I mustn't have gotten my harness thing tight enough... all I know is that the employee hastily "checked" it before I even had the seat belt on...and then the ride started. When the ride is moving the speed of it will hold you into your seat but when you are dangling in the air you need the harness. For this particular ride you need the harness THREE times and each time I was convinced that I was mere moments from being hurled into the ground 110 feet below me. Just a slight wiggle one way of the other and I was sure that I would be the next statistic of a fatality at a theme park. I wondered if they would mention that I was a teacher. I wondered if my loved ones would know that they were loved. I wondered if my life had mattered. And then the ride was over and I was still alive. So thankful to still be breathing that I didn't release my harness when necessary and I was actually stuck on the ride for a moment longer than my fellow passengers. I wanted to kiss the ground. But instead we went on the next coaster.

My head is still spinning.

I went to Six Flags today and I had a great time...I would do it all again, except I might eat some cotton candy instead of challenging the DejaVu again...I like to quit while the cards are still stacked in my favor.