Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Teacher's Inservice

Today was my first teaching inservice day. It was everything and nothing that I expected. It was informative, overwhelming, and vague. But everyone seems so supportive and welcoming. I am never going to be able to remember all of those names. There is truly something wrong with me in that regard.

As I was signing up on the "events schedule" (which, by the way, I still have no idea what that thing is) the sixth grade teacher, Patty, sitting next to me said "good choice" as I wrote my name under the speech meet, I was like, "yeah, well, I have no idea what I am getting myself into here," she laughed and said, "no one ever does when it comes to this stuff, sign up for the geography bee and we can work together on that one." So I did. I guess that means that I should probably brush up on my geography skills. But it is nice to feel so welcomed.

The typical announcements were preceded with a great devotion. I am really going to enjoy this private school bit I think. It is good to be reminded of who I am and who God is on a regular basis.

And while it is well known that all teachers will congregate around food to socialize endlessly, I have never met a group that was so interested in including someone new. I felt positively radiant, special, and important. (When does that happen?) So I guess that God knew just what he was doing when he put me here. Like I have said before, I think he was just trying to make the choice very obvious to me by giving me only one option! :-)

My one concern is that people keep making comments about my future students. And while I value their opinions and knowledge, I want to be the one to make the decisions as to how I view my kids. I don't want other people's input to influence me before I even meet them. But I don't know how to convey that with respect to the other teachers.

Hmm. Something to ponder on the bike path.