Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Drive alone

I spent a lot of time in my car on Monday which was good. It almost even made me wish that the school that I had chosen to work at was not quite so close to my home. It made me remember the advantages of a long commute. The silence, the time for reflection, the peace. But as I was driving and listening to a radio program I started to laugh at something that the speaker was talking about. And I kept glancing over at the seat next to mine and wishing that there was someone there to share it with. I had suddenly remembered why I disliked commuting so much. There was no one to share it with. So I started feeling all sorry for myself and I changed the radio station.

It was while I was there that I learned some very valuable insights from a certain Dr. James Dobson. And I realized that there was a very specific purpose in my driving alone. A purpose that outweighs the discomfort of solitude. A purpose that is better than something that I could have dreamed up. A purpose that would not have been fulfilled if I were not to drive alone...and I am glad, thankful even, that I have seen a small glimpse of this purpose. And I am not disappointed. Rather I am intrigued. I wonder what new things I have to learn today?