Friday, July 02, 2004

Still Afraid

I went for a bike ride today and discovered that I am still afraid to ride my bike over bridges...I feel unstable. I didn't realize until I was nearly across the river that I had been holding my breath for the entire duration of the crossing. And there was such a natural sigh of relief upon reaching that opposite shore. It is something about being up high, looking over your handlebars and seeing water 20 feet below you instead of sidewalk, and then feeling dizzy, feeling motion sick, feeling the bridge rumble with each passing car. It is just not a safe feeling. But bridges must be crossed. Weather you fear them or not. It was odd to stumble onto this fear. I had forgotten. But there it is, as real as ever. But I still love to ride my bike. And I love going to the bike path just to spite the bridge. It wakes me up, it makes me feel strong by shaking me up.

Crazy but true.