Wednesday, August 11, 2004

2nd Drawer to the Right (and straight on to insanity)

So I had this wonderful idea that was going to make my life so much easier. But ever since that idea entered into my way of thinking it has caused nothing but chaos. Does that ever happen to anyone but me? That which was meant to save you is that which kills you in the end? It is like being murdered by your bodyguard. Double-crossed by your advisors. Betrayed by a friend. E tu Brute? Yes, yes, I do have a flare for the dramatic! :-)

So the great idea was that since I have acquired so many new teaching tools/supplies in the recent past and since I have newly made a move into my classroom...I had no idea where to put all of my stuff...and once I had found a place for it, I forgot where it was. This is kind of a problem. So I gave birth to the life saving idea that is now killing me. I would index everything.

EVERYTHING has a card with its name at the top in black, bold sharpie marker and the directions/location of the item written in black ink underneath. For example, if you are looking for staples you find the card that it titled "Staples" and there it says "Desk- 2nd drawer to the right" Then each card is alphabetized and stored in an index box for quick and handy reference. It was a great idea. And man, could it be helpful if I ever finish it. Right now I am just worried that it will kill me before that ever happens. Because, there are ever so many things to index. It is an endless task.

Instead of traveling to Neverland this evening I shall be labeling index cards and heading strait to insanity by way of the 2nd drawer on the right.