Sunday, January 23, 2005

Traveling Buddy

I was having a conversation with my mother on the phone. I was telling her about all of the great things that I would love to go off and do. Join the Peace Corps. Travel in Central America. Work missions projects in East Asia. Study Abroad. I would go in a heartbeat if I could only have a buddy. You know, a traveling buddy...like in the Veggie Tales production of Jonah. Someone to travel with, explore with, share with, compare notes with, study with, learn with. Someone to understand and experience the *life* of it all with. Someone to re-live it all with. Someone to build and share memories with.

I pause for a breathe.

"Mom?"

"I am still here dear."

"You were awfully quiet"

"Trisha, there is a very real thing that you are looking for."

"There is? A traveling buddy?"

"Yes, but most people call them a spouse."

"yeah, I guess they do. Well, I don't need one of those. I'll go by myself and send you postcards."

*sigh* "Am I never going to have grandchildren?"

"Goodbye, Mom."

"Goodbye, Miss Independent."

*click*