Thursday, April 03, 2008

Baby Proof


Well, look at that! It's another Emily Giffin novel, who would have thought?
It seems as if I am on a role.
This book is entirely not what I expected it to be in many ways. The first two Giffin novels that I read were deeply intertwined. I wrongly assumed that this book was a continuation of that story in some way.
The other novels also progressed in a very typical manner. This one seemed to start at a "happily ever after...." and then proceeded to fall apart. Talk about the unexpected! (Giffin's novels all seem to rely heavily on the theme of the unexpected...)
I found myself continuously counting down the number of pages to the final chapter knowing that it was not going to end the way that I wanted it to. I was dreading every word that brought me closer to the "monster" at the end of the book which I intuitively felt to be a tragic closing to this story, strong, but tragic.
And I did greatly enjoy a brief character "cameo" from the book, Something Blue. :)
However, I have also been thinking a lot about art this week. And this thinking has reminded me that sometimes the success of a book/story is not in the warm, fuzzy afterglow and the tidy happy endings...but perhaps it can be deemed "art" or "successful" because it was the story that evoked a deep emotional response...albeit not an expected response. It dredged up a real feeling of knowing what the characters struggle through.
I liked the book. I am highly tempted to pre-order the next novel which is hitting the shelves in mid-May.