Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Recent Readings

I just finished this fantastic book Requiem for Love. I was truly impressed. It is all about the creation and fall of mankind. It is slightly allegorical, very similar to writings of Milton's Paradise Lost and J. R. R. Tolkien's Ring Triology. Deep, thoughtful, poignet, moving, emotional, poetic. I loved it.



I was especially pleased because I am currently doing a study on the women of the Bible and Eve, who was obviously the main character of this book, was one of the women that I have studied. It was a fresh perspective, that although it was fictional dialog, the sentiments were very real. I believed it. And I felt it. As a young person I would always look down on Eve. She had only one limitation. One command to follow. She daily, physically walked with God, the creator of heaven and earth. And she blew it. Dumb.

But this book really brought her sin to a personal level. A level that I could not only relate to but I saw her sin as a pattern in my own life. The sin that Eve committed was momentary and brief. I have committed virtually the same sin, repeatedly, frequently, completely. So while it brought into full view the ugliness, it was also a beautiful picture of grace and mercy. Whoever reads the Old Testament and does not see a gracious and loving God is not reading the same book that I am.

Anyhow, beautiful book. Easy read. I cannot wait to get the second part of this trilogy.