Sunday, July 18, 2004

Far Scarier Than "Secret Window"

I watched the movie "Secret Window" with my family this evening.  It is what I would typically label as a "scary" movie.  I don't like to watch scary movies.  I was drug to see this one by a very persuasive friend who assured me that it was not "that scary."  So when my dad rented it and put it in I was not troubled...I had already seen it and deemed it not "that scary."  But here is where the story twists and gets far scarier that the "Secret Window."
 
My mom sat next to me and I would warn her when to not look and then tell her what she was missing without the gross details.  This method worked out really well for both of us until the end.  (WARNING: if you have not seen this movie and are planning on watching it, read no further because I am about to ruin the ending for you!)  When the poor wife is stabbed with the screwdriver and drug outside but the psycho Rainey I said, "Don't worry, he doesn't kill her.  She will be ok.  Remember her boyfriend?  He couldn't wait at home like she told him to so he comes and saves her and Rainey dies accidentally."  So mom uncovers her face just as the previously mentioned boyfriend enters the scene.  Great.  All's well that ends well.  Except that then we (my mom and I) both watched in horror as the boyfriend is beheaded with the shovel.  AAHHHHHHH!  Mom is screaming at me, "I thought you said he saved her!"  and I am screaming, "I thought he did!  I remember it that way!"  Then we both hid and screamed as the poor wife was killed.  How terrifying!  But the really scary thing is that I had created an alternative ending that I truly believed to be true.  I did not remember the real ending of the movie at all!  I was totally surprised.  How scary is that. 
 
I told you that I shouldn't watch scary movies. *shudder*