Wednesday, August 18, 2004

14 hours

14 hours. The amount of time I needed to sleep before I had some sort of mental breakdown. I get stressed. Then I need sleep. Lots of sleep. So last night I got caught up. 14 hours of caught up. Its nice that it is so easy to decompress. However, finding the time for said decompression is not always that easy.

My classroom is ready (mostly). I have my lesson plans written. I start teacher's institute tomorrow. School picnic on Saturday. One real day of rest on Sunday and then school begins.

It is crazy how busy/stressful all of these preparations have been. But the good kind of busy/stressful where I know exactly what I need to get accomplished I need only to find the time and energy. As opposed to the horrifying stress of knowing that you have tons to do and not only do I not know where to start, I don't even know what needs to be done. But this has been good and busy. But crazily enough I feel ready.

I have been counting down the days. Countdowns are such crazy things. Usually a person who is under this kind of pressure is counting down to the end. To the completion of the stressful situation. Instead I find myself counting down to the beginning. To the start of the school year. This is good, because of the excitement and anticipation that it builds. Teachers need as much excitement as possible for the start of the school year. But it is bad if I come to dread school or view it only as a paycheck. In order to be successful at this I need to do more than survive or cope. In order to be successful I need to be excellent, exemplary. I plan to be good at this. I plan on succeeding. I plan on staying on top, on getting ahead, on allowing the illusion to continue.

I feel ready. And tomorrow it begins. I can't wait.